Here are some general strategies for all parents to stay sane - look for more comprehensive articles on specific topics in the days and weeks to come:
- Take a step back. This is the most important step toward sanity! Look at what causes the most stress in your day, and address that first. Even a small change can make a big difference.
- Plan ahead. Sorry if you’re not a planner, mama - you have to be to stay sane!
- Find a routine. Everyone does better when they know what to expect. Create a daily schedule that works for you and the kids, and try to stick with it.
- Be efficient with your time. If you’re like me, you probably feel like you don’t have time to do everything you need to do everyday. So, be efficient with the time that you do have.
- Remove unnecessary stressors. Look at what causes stress during your day, and see what you can remove. (And, no, this does not mean the kids.)
- Encourage older kids to be independent. This is especially important if you also have younger children - you only have so many hands! Once you know your child can do something for him/herself, let them do it!
- Work together. If you have a spouse, partner, or grandparent - wonderful! Ask for and accept their help.
- Take care of yourself. Find time for yourself everyday, even if it is just for 5 minutes (hopefully it is longer!).
- Relax. I know that I am definitely not a supermom, and you probably aren’t either if you're reading this site! So, accept that you can’t do it all, and prioritize what you can do. And, at the end of the day, have that all important glass of wine.